Your First Donation
Welcome to CSL Plasma!
We’re glad you’re here! We collect your plasma using a special process called plasmapheresis that separates the plasma from the blood and collects it in a bottle. We use a sophisticated high-tech machine that safely collects the plasma and returns the other parts of the blood back to you, all while you read a book or catch up with friends on social media. Although wait times may vary at each location, the collection process takes approximately 90 minutes.
Pre-Donation TipsBefore donating:
- Drink 4-6 eight-ounce glasses of water, fruit juice or other caffeine-free liquid at least 2 to 3 hours before donation
- Avoid caffeinated beverages
- Avoid alcohol of any type for 24 hours before you donate
- Eat a meal prior to donation
- Get adequate sleep
What to Bring With You
- A valid Government issued identification (Example: Driver's license, Military ID, etc.)
- Proof of social security number (Example: Social Security Card)
- If you are a resident of Mexico, please also provide a valid Border Crossing Card (BCC) or US Visa and Government issued document/identification indicating the CURP (Clave Unica de Registro de Poblacion) number
- Proof of local residency (Example: Piece of mail postmarked in the past 30 days, current lease, utility bill, etc)
- Coupons from the website
- A book/magazine/phone or other reading material (optional)
Post-Donation TipsAfter donating:
- Eat a light meal
- Drink more fluids than usual for the next 4 hours
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes
- Keep your venipuncture site clean and dry
- The bandage may be removed after several hours
- If there is bleeding from the venipuncture site, raise arm and apply pressure
- If fainting or dizziness occurs, either lie down or sit with your head between your knees
- If symptoms or other discomfort persist, telephone the center or see a doctor
Considering Your Second Donation
It takes two!
Because of our stringent quality and safety testing of the plasma we collect, the first donation is used only after a second donation is completed. Donating plasma the second time will take much less time than your first visit, and you can begin to accumulate points towards gift cards or express passes (where eligible) through our iGive Rewards program.
First-time donors, please contact the center to confirm that your home address is within our recruitment area PRIOR to visiting since it varies per location.
*Donors can earn up to $700. Compensation and promotions for eligible, qualified donors vary by location and weight. Ask the center manager at your preferred donation location for details about your compensation.